1. Natural Hazard Mitigation
GSI in collaboration with Trumer Schutznbauten GmbH, Austria are implementing rockfall, slope and debris flow protection measures in Nepal since 2014. Geohazard related any problems have been dealt with expert opinion and solutions are provided according to the site characteristics.
a. Rockfall Protection Net:
Rockfall protection systems by Trumer Schutzbauten GmbH consist of an interception structure and a support or retaining structure. The interception structure is formed by the Omega-Net with its outstanding deformability, flexibility and energy absorption. The support or retaining structure consists of posts, bearing ropes, retaining ropes and brake elements.
b. Slope stabilization:
The slope retention systems by Trumer Schutzbauten consist of the net or wire netting component, which constrains the blocks of rock or unstable material, and the anchors that channel the forces into the ground. The coupling of the netting to the anchors is achieved through either spike or clamp plates. As an option, support ropes can be attached to the netting and anchors in various configurations, distributing forces both vertically and horizontally.
c. Avalanche Protection:
The avalanche protection systems by Trumer Schutzbauten GmbH utilize the flexible nature and high strength of the Omega-Net to prevent avalanches in their first stage of occurrence. Additionally, in scenically sensitive areas, the nets are practically transparent and so are an aesthetic alternative to traditional snow bridge or snow rack systems.
2. Geotechnical Services
Geotechnical services are the primary service of GSI. We have extensive experience in almost every type of geotechnical consulting.
GSI works with developers, architects, civil design engineers, design-build contractors, school buildings, and municipality’s households to determine the geotechnical aspects or needs of a proposed project. We also have the expertise and experience to help determine the root causes of problems.
Engineers and geologists of GSI typically follow a project from inception to final construction. They ensure that quality data gathering techniques are implemented. Once proper sampling and testing is done, we use the field and laboratory data, along with geotechnical engineering theory, software, and engineering judgment to meet the needs of the projects or clients.
Here is a major list of geotechnical consulting services GSI provides to its clients:
- Foundation soil stability analysis
- Geological and geotechnical evaluations of sites and development
- Retaining wall design
- Soil stabilization, analysis and design
- Shallow and Deep Foundation Design
- Settlement analysis for both slopes and foundations
- Pavement analysis and design
- Embankment Design
- Site dewatering design
- Slope stability analysis
- Soil evaluations for sewage management
- Site seismic analysis
- Subsurface evaluations
- Geotechnical evaluation for dam design
- Dam construction, inspection, and testing
- Site-specific spectral response analysis
- Construction engineering
- Plate load testing
- Pile installation supports
- Geological and Geomorphic Terrain Evaluation for Airport Construction
- Hydropower and Wind Energy
3. Geotechnical and Geological Laboratory Services
GSI has recently established a fully furnished geotechnical laboratory in order to provide quality service in the field of Geotechnical investigation and material testing including core drilling with the extraction of core samples and undisturbed soil samples. Additionally, in difficult geological terrain and sub-surface structure, GSI has been using portable Down-to-the-hole (DTH) drilling machine (for maximum 20m depth) that also helps to save drilling time.
- Geotechnical core drilling with the extraction of core samples and undisturbed soil samples
- Geotechnical Laboratory tests following ASTM and IS codes with detail report preparation
- DTH drilling works
We provide laboratory services for the following test:
- Direct Shear Test
- Unconfined Compression Test
- Triaxial Test
- Atterberg limit Test
- Plastic limit
- Liquid limit
- Shrinkage limit
- Soil grain property Test using Sieve Analysis or Hydrometer (Particle Size Distribution PSD Test)
- Permeability Test
- Equal head permeability test
- Falling head permeability test
- Moisture Content Test
- Specific Gravity Test using Pycnometer
- Shrink and Swell Test
- Proctor Compaction and CBR Test
- Consolidation Test
4. Geotechnical and Geological Drilling
GSI is equipped to provide quality drilling services in Nepal. GSI operates Rotary Core Drill Rig and portable DTH Rig, which enables us to offer a wide range of drilling, sampling, and monitoring services even in very difficult terrains. Drill crews of GSI meet the demands of clients, which range from geotechnical and environmental engineers to architects, contractors, developers, hydropower entrepreneurs, and municipalities.
GSI applies both auger and rotary drilling techniques to reach the required depth in exploration drilling. Our drill crew personnel are highly-trained and have experience of working in the famous construction and consulting companies of Nepal.
These are capabilities of GSI:
- Geotechnical drilling
- Environmental drilling
- Standard Penetration Testing
- Dynamic Cone Penetration Testing
- Groundwater monitoring well installation
- Rock coring
- Undisturbed sampling and testing
- Auger drilling
- Rotary drilling
- Piezometer installation
- DTH drilling for anchor hole on slope,
- Horizontal, incline and vertical drilling on slope
- Split spoon and Shelby tube sampling
- Continuous soil sampling for terrain development
GSI provides services for geotechnical investigation, exploring, prospecting, water well drilling (less than 100 mm diameters) and construction projects like road, bridge, water conservancy and hydropower, tunnel, industrial and civil construction as well as geological exploration, large-diameter boring pile.
5. Portable pneumatic down-the-hole (DTH) drilling machine
For large diameter borehole drilling operations of rock excavation, especially advantageous for rugged and steep-sloped terrain where another drilling rig can’t operate normally, GSI provides portable pneumatic down-the-hole (DTH) drilling machine available for the first time in Nepal. GSI is able to work in harsh environment, drilling in hard rock of small and medium-sized mine, earth and rock engineering works and so on.